How to Change A Flat Tire on Your Vehicle
Having to pull over to the side of the road to change a flat tire can seem inconvenient. However, it’s a skill that everyone should know. While we all carry our cell phones with us, we can’t guarantee that they’ll always be charged or have a strong signal. Today, we are going to teach you how to change a flat tire on your vehicle. Keep reading to learn this helpful skill.
Supplies you’ll need to change a flat tire
Before we teach you how to change a tire, we’re going to provide you with a list of supplies. While not all of these supplies are necessary, they are all helpful in making this task easier. Supplies you need include:
- Car jack
- Lug wrench
- Spare tire
- Flashlight and working batteries
- Rain poncho
- 2” x 6” piece of wood
- Wheel wedges
[ Read more: When should I get a new battery for my Kia? ]
Steps for changing a flat tire
- Pull over to a safe location. If you can, pull over into an empty parking lot. Otherwise, choose a straight stretch of road to pull over on.
- Turn on hazards and apply the parking brakes. The hazards will make it easier for other drivers to see you and avoid an accident. The brakes will prevent your vehicle from rolling while you change the tire.
- Place wheel wedges under tires. If you are changing a front tire, place them behind the rear tires. If you are changing a rear tire, place them under the front tires.
- Remove hubcap/wheel cover and loosen lug nuts. If your vehicle has a hubcap, it is easier to remove it before you raise up your vehicle. Loosen the lug nuts only ¼ to ½ a turn.
- Put the jack under your vehicle and raise it. Find a solid area designed for a jack to avoid damaging the underside of your vehicle. Raise your vehicle until the tire is about six inches off the ground. If you need to, use the piece of wood for uneven ground.
- Take off the lug nuts and flat tire. When taking off lug nuts, place them in a spot where they can’t be lost.
- Put the spare tire onto the lug bolts. Tighten the lug nuts on by hand before lowering the vehicle until the tire is touching the ground. Tighten lug nuts again with a lug wrench.
- Fully lower the vehicle. Put the hubcap back on and put away all of your supplies.
Schedule service appointment at Airport Kia of Naples
After changing your flat tire, be sure to get the rest of your tires checked out at a service center. Schedule a service appointment at Airport Kia of Naples where our staff will provide exceptional service. If you would like more tips, keep following our blog, or feel free to contact us.